What survey questions did you ask to find potential Hearts in "Our Journey Home?"
Shelly H. asked: For Our Journey Home you mentioned "..we developed an online questionnaire that, beyond demographic information, got at their Big 3 Things." Could you guys give some examples of the questions you asked to help nail down who your ultimate characters were going to be?
I was able to find some of those survey questions specific to our documentary. I'm skipping the initial ones that get at their basic information (name, age, city/state, phone/email, and if they had kids/how many) and the rest of the pre-interview questions were the following:
- What makes you different? Share up to 3 ways you would describe yourself as unique.
- What do you dream of doing? What do you hope to accomplish in your life? This is not about housing, this is where we get to know you better. :)
- What is standing in the way of your hopes and dreams?
- Have you ever lived in public housing?
- When did you live in public housing?
- How do you feel about public housing?
- What does home mean to you?
- Which option best describes your current housing situation?
- How long were you on the waiting list for public housing?
- Where did you live before public housing?
- What led you to your need for public housing?
- How difficult were things for you before you were able to get into public housing?
- How has your experience in public housing been so far?
- Do you feel that public housing is helping you work toward achieving your goals?
- Do you want to live in public housing?
- Why do you want to live in public housing?
- Is there anything else you'd like to share with us about your story?
These were delivered through a Typeform survey, so some of these are conditional (if the person said "yes" to wanting to live in public housing, then the survey would direct them to "why do you want to live in public housing," whereas if they said "no" to wanting to live in public housing, then they would not answer the question of why they want to live in public housing).
But hope this helps as well give you an example of how we use the Big 3 Things to adapt what questions we ask for a specific project.